Help is available to reduce Council Tax charges

The Highland Council is advising low income households, including home-owners, to apply for help to reduce their Council Tax. Eligible households can receive up to 100% reduction from their Council Tax which means that those households who receive the full reduction will only have to pay their Scottish Water and Wastewater charges.

For a Band D property, 100% reduction is equivalent to £1,233.82 for 2018/19. Households can quickly check whether they are eligible for these reductions by completing the Council’s innovative ‘Apply Once’ online application form which is available at the following link:  

This form will automatically identify any other entitlements that are administered by the Council based on the individual circumstances of the applicant. Applicants supply their details only once and the Council will put into payment all entitlements that are legitimately payable. 

Councillor Alister Mackinnon, Chair of the Corporate Resources Committee said: “It’s important that anyone eligible for help with their Council Tax applies as soon as possible.

“More than 17,000 Highland households are already receiving reductions from their Council Tax but others may still be missing out on their entitlements. It doesn’t matter what Council Tax Band you are in or whether you rent or own your home, help may be available if you are on a low income.  The Council’s Welfare Support Team are on hand to help with form filling and to advise about eligibility.  I encourage households to contact them without delay.” 

Highland Council Leader and Chair of the Council’s Poverty and Inequalities Working Group, Councillor Margaret Davidson said:  “We have made very good progress with promoting the help that is available for the many thousands of households who may be eligible for a reduced council tax bill.  We don’t want anyone to lose out financially and need people to apply for this help as soon as possible. 

“There are very good Council Tax Fact Sheets on our website that provide more information about Council Tax and the various reductions that are available for many people including home owners.”

The Welfare Support Team can be contacted by phoning 0800 090 1004 or by emailing Alternatively, customers can visit our Service Points where staff can also provide assistance or local Citizens Advice Bureaux can provide support and advice regarding benefits, housing and money. 

22 Mar 2018
How is this webpage?