Contractor appointed for Smithton Primary extension and refurbishment
Morgan Sindall has been appointed by The Highland Council to carry out a £4M extension and refurbishment contract for Smithton Primary School in Inverness.
Enabling works started in April, comprising the installation of decant accommodation, additional car parking and associated external works. These have also been undertaken by Morgan Sindall and are now nearing completion. The main contract works will follow on with an anticipated project completion date of October 2019.
Chairman of The Highland Council’s Care, Learning and Housing Committee Cllr Andrew Baxter said: “This contract is another key step in the Council’s programme of refurbishment and renovation of Highland schools. The works at Smithton will address current and future capacity issues at the school and will improve the condition and suitability of the existing school accommodation. Additional nursery classroom space will also be provided to meet an increase in Early Learning and Childcare provision for 3 and 4 year-olds that is required to be in place by 2020.”
The contract comprises:
- Demolition of the existing entrance and administration area.
- Construction of a new 5-classroom extension with entrance lobby/reception, offices and associated staff accommodation.
- Extension of the dining and games hall area.
- Refurbishment of the senior classroom wing.
- A temporary administration block which will be converted for use as nursery accommodation on completion of the works.
- Increased car parking provision and a multi-use games area.