Roads and bridges work in Badenoch and Strathspey
Members of The Highland Council’s Badenoch & Strathspey Area Committee have noted works undertaken in the area on roads and bridges in the last financial year for 2018/19.
The total capital budget for road and bridges in Badenoch and Strathspey for 2018/19 was £572,248.
Nine roads were surface dressed at:
- A939 Castle Gant East Lodge to snow gates
- A939 Brae above north snow gates to Moray bound
- B9152 Grampian Road, Aviemore
- B970 Loch an Eilein to Boat house road end
- Grant Road, Grantown-on-Spey
- Chapel Road, Grantown-on-Spey
- East Terrace, Kingussie
- Tait's Brae, Kingussie
- A939 Dava, Heatherbell to Lochanellan (south bound carriageway).
In July and August 2018 road resurfacing schemes were completed in Kingussie at King Street and Market Lane, and in Aviemore at Dalfaber Industrial Estate road.
Footway improvements were undertaken at Spey Street and King Street, Kingussie, with numerous pavement cross-drains renewed which help to reduce surface water and risk of ice on the pavement in winter.
Two weeks of jet patching work was carried out at the end of July and beginning of August 2018 at the following locations:
- Braes of Castle Grant, Grantown-on-Spey
- Old Spey Bridge, Grantown-on-Spey
- Laggan – Garvamore – Melgarve
- Dalfaber Road, Aviemore
- Finlarig road
- B970 Ruthven – Insh
- B970 Inshriach – Inverdruie
- Dunbarrry Road, Kingussie
- Gynack Road, Kingussie
- Grantown – various roads within town
Members noted the bridge inspections programme that was completed in 2018/19 including the following 10 bridges of over 20m at: Garva, Sherramore, Spey Dam, Balnaan, Dulnain, Straan, Nethy, Spey, Cromdale, Old Spey; and various other inspections across the area. They also noted the repairs that were made to Broomhill Bridge at the River Spey in 2018/19. This bridge was closed last week for emergency repair due to a road traffic collision on 11 August.
Members welcomed the progress being made in the Area General Inspections programme by the area Structures Technician.