Turf cutting ceremonies to mark start on two new schools at Fort William.
Work starts on Thursday 29 May on two new schools and community facilities at Lundavra Road and Ardgour Road in Fort William.To mark the start of construction - Lochaber Highland Councillors and Members of the Council’s Gaelic Implementation Group will be joined by Council officials, and key representatives from the contactors GRAHAM Construction at the Lundavara site and Robertson Construction Northern at the Ardgour site at turf cutting ceremonies.
An opportunity to view information on the latest stages of The Highland Council’s programme of new primary schools for the Fort William area, and also for Lochaber High School, is also open to the public next week. Two walk-in public displays will be available for viewing on:
- Wednesday 28 May (10am – 4pm) at Fort William Medical Centre, Camaghael, Fort William; and
- Thursday 29 May (10am – 4pm) at Lochaber Leisure Centre, Belford Road, Fort William
Displays and information will be available for viewing on the Council’s four key school building projects for:
- A joint campus building to replace Caol Primary School and build a school combining the existing Fort William and Lochyside Roman Catholic Primary Schools along with the construction of a new Caol Community Centre. These will be built on the current Caol site and will involve the demolition of the existing community centre and school buildings
- An eleven classroom school building with community facilities at Lundavra Road to replace the existing Fort William and Upper Achintore Primary Schools
- A Gaelic Primary School with community facilities at Ardgour Road in Caol; the school will have four classrooms initially with the capacity to be extended by up to a further four classrooms if required
- The final phases of the upgrades to and refurbishment of Lochaber High School, including new kitchen and dining facilities, new main entrance and administration block, refurbishment of the assembly hall and new pitched roof
Meanwhile, the process of naming the new schools in Fort William is starting with the Lundavra site and the joint Campus in Caol. This term, schools are looking to involve pupils, staff, parents, and the local community in helping to choose the new school names. Letters are going out from the schools asking for suggestions. People are encouraged to be creative, to reflect on the locality of the new schools, and to consider possible historical or cultural connections when thinking of a name.
Once all suggestions are returned to the schools by 6 June, each school will hold a short listing panel to select names. Ballot papers with the shortlisted names will then go out to the school community with ballot boxes placed in each existing school. The Council hopes to announce the winning names before the end of term.
The naming of the new Gaelic Primary School will follow once a new Parent Council has been formed.
21 May 2014