Companies to be invited to tender for Inverness Town House repairs
An estimated £7.25 million six-year project to maintain the structure and public safety of the Inverness Town House building was given the go-ahead today to proceed to tender by members of The Highland Council’s City of Inverness Area Committee.
Companies to proceed to tender by members of The Highland Council’s City of Inverness Area Committee.
Companies will be invited to tender for comprehensive fabric works including: stone repairs and replacement, mortar re-pointing, roof repairs, rainwater goods (guttering and downpipes) renewal, and window repairs and replacements.
The historic category A-listed building is owned by the Inverness Common Good Fund. The last major repairs to the Town House stonework were undertaken in 1956. Since then, small localised repairs have been carried out. In 2009 an inspection of the Town House reported deterioration at a greater rate than expected which prompted the Council commissioning a full building condition survey.
In May 2013 a fully detailed survey was undertaken. This found that, due mainly to the natural ageing process over the past 130 years; repairs and associated works were required to the stonework, roof and windows of the building.
The total estimated cost for the entire works required was estimated at £8.8million. Members have agreed that works should commence first on the original and most important part of the Town House estimated at £7.25 million. After this work has been completed, the works to remaining parts of the Town House will be commissioned as a separate contract.
Members welcomed that Historic Scotland has initially committed £500,000 to the project and agreed that further investigations into sourcing third party funding support for the works should be carried out.
Leader of the City of Inverness Area, Councillor Ian Brown said: “Inverness Town House is a jewel in the crown of Inverness City’s architecture and social history. As custodians of the Inverness Common Good Fund it is vital that we ensure a future for the Town House for generations to come while ensuring that the assets of the Common Good Fund are also safeguarded.”
Inverness Town House, on the corner of Castle Street and High Street was built between 1878 and 1882 by the architects Matthews and Lawrie, Inverness. The cost of the building then was £12,500.
For more information on Inverness Town House visit her.highland.gov.uk; read the Guide to Inverness Town House; or take a virtual tour of the Town House at http://www.ambaile.org.uk/.