Act now to secure your vote in European Parliamentary Election
With the European Parliamentary Elections taking place on Thursday 22 May, Bill Gillies, Electoral Registration Officer for the Highland and Western Isles area is urging voters to make sure they are registered to vote in time.
“People are talking about the elections, but you’ll only be able to have your say on who represents you in the European Parliament if you’re registered to vote by the deadline of Tuesday 6 May and for postal applications by 7 May”, said Mr Gillies.
“Registering is quick and simple. All you have to do is visit www.aboutmyvote.co.uk and print off a registration form.
He added: “If you are unsure whether you are registered, you should call the Electoral Registration Office on 0800 393 783 to check. Registration for Council Tax does not mean that you are registered to vote.”
The deadlines for registering to vote in the European Parliamentary Elections are:
- to register to vote - Tuesday 6 May 2014;
- new postal vote applications (including proxy to apply by post) - 5pm Wednesday 7 May 2014;
- to cancel or alter postal and proxy votes, or to change from postal to proxy voting - by 5pm on Wednesday 7 May 2014;
- new proxy vote applications - by 5pm on Wednesday 14 May 2014
- to vote by proxy, after 14 May, on the grounds of a medical emergency or where you learn you cannot go to a polling station because of work purposes - by 5pm on Thursday 22 May 2014.
Forms can also be downloaded from The Highland Council’s website or obtained from the Electoral Registration Office by phone on 0800 393 783 or by email email@example.com