Nairn by-election result
The by-election for a councillor to serve the Nairn Ward (No 19) on The Highland Council has been won by Stephen Kenneth Fuller - Scottish National Party (SNP).
Stephen Fuller was one of five candidates, who contested the vacancy, created by former Councillor Colin Macaulay stepping down in March.
The other Ward members are Councillors Laurie Fraser (Independent), Michael Green (Independent) and Liz MacDonald (SNP).
Voting was by the single transferable vote and Stephen Fuller emerged as the winner at the 4th stage of the count. The turnout was 71.44% there were 6601 valid papers and 149 rejected papers.
The candidates were:
- Ritchie Cunningham - Scottish Liberal Democrats, 2406 votes.
- Stephen Kenneth Fuller - Scottish National Party (SNP), 3135 votes.
- Chris Johnson - Scottish Labour Party, 455 votes.
- Mairi MacGregor, 893 votes.
- Paul Carlo McIvor - Independent, 1440 votes
The representation of the 80-member Council now is Independent, 34; Scottish National Party 21; Liberal Democrat 12; Labour 8; and Highland Alliance 5.