Highland Council winter road condition and school closure report for Friday, 29 January 2016
Road condition reports by The Highland Council’s Community Services for the morning of Friday, 29 January 2016 are as follows:
Nairn: Roads wet with minor overnight issue. Route being checked for flooding trees issues form storm damage.Posted: 29/01/2016 10:11 ‘Ponding’ on main roads now cleared, otherwise just sweeping required in places for storm debris/wash out. Reported: 09:40
South Sutherland and East Ross:
- Update B9176 Struie Road now open. Swordale Road now open Posted: 29/01/2016 09:32
- Oykel Bridge Road – U2126 and Croick Manse Road – U3156 closed due to flooding. Swordale Road, Evanton and B9176 Struie Road (at Ardross) – blocked due to fallen tree. Posted: 29/01/2016 09:07
- Road surface temperatures positive. No gritting required. Posted: 29/01/2016 08:29
Mid and West Ross:
- Positive road surface temperatures, no gritting required. Posted: 29/01/2016 08:33.
- 9 fallen trees affecting roads across East and West. Teams working to clear them. Posted: 29/01/2016 08:31
- Flooding caution at Moy Bridge and Strathbran (Achanalt) Reported 09:40
Inverness: General flooding issues all roads passable at 09:40. A833 Beauly to Drumnadrochit – tree down near Brockies Corner – passable. B861 Inverness to Inverarnie – trees being removed. One or two trees down on minor roads. Reported at 09:40.
Skye, Lochalsh & South West Ross: Bealach na Ba being gritted from 8am, tree removed from Sleat Road this morning. Posted: 29/01/2016 08:08
Lochaber: Various minor flooding events, particularly at Lochaber Leisure Centre with flooding across A82. River Lochy very high. High tide at Fort William now with large surge. Sandbags dispatched and available. Some trees down on the A861 which have been dealt with. Corran ferry is currently running an ‘intermittent’ service without timetable. Reported at 09:40
Badenoch & Strathspey: Various windblown trees; those on main road (B9152) cleared, clearing back road now (B970). No road closures. Monitoring rising river levels. Rain expected to ease to showers now (and snow forecast tonight with some drifting). Reported at 09:40
Maps of the Council’s gritting routes by priority and policy are available online for: Badenoch and Strathspey; Caithness and North Sutherland; Inverness; Lochaber; Nairn; Skye and Lochalsh; South Sutherland and East Ross; and Wester Ross and Black Isle at www.highland.gov.uk/gritting.
The information provided is a summary of reports from operational staff and is intended to give a general indication of typical conditions in each area at a point in time. It is not intended to imply that any individual route is entirely snow and ice free and drivers must be aware that conditions can change rapidly and make their own assessment of conditions for travelling.
Highland has the longest road network of any council in Scotland and it is not possible to treat every road at the same time. A priority system is applied to treat the areas in greatest need first.
Trunk roads are gritted by BEAR Scotland (North West)(external link) for Transport Scotland(external link).
The following schools were closed in Highland as at the time shown on Friday, 29 January 2016.
- Altnaharra Primary and Nursery 8:40 am: Closed (no water/heating/power)
- Ardross Primary and Nursery 8:41 am: Closed (bad weather)
- Auchtertyre Primary and Nursery 7:22 am: Closed (bad weather)
- Avoch Primary and Nursery 8:30 am : Partially closed – no school transport (bad weather)
- Badcaul Primary Nursery 9:13 am: Closed (bad weather)
- Bualnaluib Primary and Nursery 8:01 am: Closed (bad weather)
- Bun-sgoil Ghàidhlig Loch Abar 9:27 am: Closed (bad weather)
- Dingwall Academy 7:16 am: Partially closed – open to S4-S6 (bad weather)
- Elgol Primary 9:51 am: Closed (bad weather)
- Farr High School 8:20 am: Closed (no water/heating/power)
- Farr Primary and Nursery (Sutherland) 8:22 am: Closed (no water/heating/power)
- Fortrose Academy 7:21 am: Partially closed – no school transport (bad weather)
- Gairloch High School 7:28 am: Closed (bad weather)
- Gairloch Primary and Nursery 8:00 am: Closed (bad weather)
- Invergarry Primary and Nursery 7:10 am: Closed (bad weather)
- Kilmuir Primary and Nursery 7:34 am: Closed (bad weather)
- Kinlochbervie High School 8:27 am: Partially closed – no school transport (severe road conditions)
- Kinlochbervie Primary 8:27 am: Partially closed – no school transport (severe road conditions)
- Kyle Primary 10:05 am: Closed (bad weather)
- Loch Duich Primary 7:13 am: Closed (bad weather)
- Lochaline Primary 10:30 am: Closed (no water/heating/power)
- Newmore Primary 8:32 am: Closed (no water/heating/power)
- Obsdale Primary and Nursery 8:46 am: Closed (bad weather)
- Plockton High School 9:25 am: Closed (bad weather)
- Plockton Primary and Nursery 7:06 am: Closed (bad weather)
- Poolewe Primary Nursery 8:33 am: Closed (bad weather)
- Portree High School 8:43 am: Closed (bad weather)
- St Clement's School and Nursery 8:37 am: Closed (bad weather)
- Tongue Primary and Nursery 8:35 am: Closed (bad weather)
Visit the school closures website for up- to-date information at www.highland.gov.uk/schoolclosures - the page is updated from 7 am and cleared each evening. Get alerts of closures on Highland Council’s Twitter and Facebook.