Community projects receive funding after Skye and Raasay residents cast their vote
Residents in Skye and Raasay had the chance to cast their vote on Saturday (28 May 2016) at the Your Island, Your Cash, Your Choice Event held in in The Fingal Centre, Portree.
Over 90 people attended and took part in deciding which projects should be supported from the £15,000 that was available. 15 out of the 45 groups who put their projects forward have been successful and will now receive funding to put their ideas into action.
Applicants gave a 3-minute pitch to make their case for funding, then attendees were asked to vote for the ten projects that they thought would help improve their local areas.
The Your Island, Your Cash, Your Choice grant fund is part of an initiative to localise decision making by using a participatory budgeting exercise to allocate funding.
Councillor John Gordon who sits on the local implementation working group said: “Residents of Skye and Raasay have decided the projects they feel will benefit the local area. The criteria of fund and rules of the event have been decided locally. The feedback from those who attended has been positive but we are still interested to hear how we could develop the process for the future.
“This is the first time we have tried anything like this in Skye and Raasay, the process was planned to engage the public in taking a view on all the applications and then deciding which holds most value for their area.
“The event showcased all the fantastic work that community groups do locally and I am extremely grateful for everyone who came along and made the day such an excellent success.”
The successful applications were awarded as follows:
- · The Skye Youth Pipe Band - Pipe Band drumming
- · Skye Stroke Friends - Skye Stroke Friends Outings
- · Isle of Skye Pipe Band- Isle of Skye Pipe Band
- · Staffin Lunch Club - Enhancement of Activities for Lunch Club Members
- · Dannsairean an Eilen Sgitheanaich - Strictly Skye 2016
- · Clann Throndairnis - After school Gaelic Club focusing on Gaelic singing/drama/music.
- · Skye and Lochalsh Gymnastics Club (SLGC) - Growing SLGC with coach development
- · Way Forward Group - Way Forward Group To Meet Fortnightly To Reduce Isolation
- · Tarskavaig Communities Hall Association - Save Energy & Save an Accident
- · Crossroads Care – Skye and Lochalsh - Crossroads Connecting Communities
- · Isle of Skye YMCA - YMCA Skye Outdoors
- · Viewfield Garden Collective (VGC) - Therapy Through Gardening
- · Broadford Youth Club - Summer Trip
- · St Columba’s Church - Bread Basket
- · Friends of An Acarsaid Care Home - Otago exercise sessions