2017 programme approved for Inverness events and festivals
Inverness councillors have given their continued support for a range of popular events and festivals that will take place in the city next year.
Members of The Highland Council’s City of Inverness Area Committee have approved £320,000 Inverness Common Good Funding to enable the staging of the following events that are planned for 2017:
- Inverness Highland Games at Bught Park on 15 July
- Inverness Gala at Northern Meeting Park on 16 July
- Halloween Events at Ness Islands 28 – 29 October
- Fireworks Display and Bonfire at Bught Park on 4 November
- Christmas Lights switch on at the City Centre and “Ding Dong Merrily on High” at Old High Church on 19 November
- Winter Wonderland at Whin Park 15 -17 December
- Red Hot Highland Fling at Northern Meeting Park on 31 December.
Provost and Leader of Inverness and Area Cllr Helen Carmichael said: “The Events and Festivals Programme has helped to expand the tourism market in Inverness, particularly in the winter months particularly with the Red Hot Highland Fling which is a firmly established New Year / Hogmanay event in Scotland.
“I would like to thank the Events and Festivals Working Group and the Events Manager for their year-on-year work in delivering events in Inverness that entertain and delight tens of thousands of visitors annually.”
Members agreed the recommendation for funding with the addition that during the year a report is brought to Inverness City Area Committee on how the Council can attract external business support or sponsorship for events to reduce the burden placed on the Inverness Common Good Fund of 100% funding of events.