Sheltered housing

Our sheltered housing is small rented properties, provided by us or housing associations. They can be one bedroom or bedsits with enhanced housing services, for example, a warden visiting. It is popular, because it provides independence, with a little more support.

Some have communal facilities, including a sitting room, where people can meet and socialise. Each property is connected to a 24 hour alarm service (telecare) to call for help in case of emergencies.

The warden is in charge of the overall site. They get to know the residents and inform them about the local services and support available. They do not actually provide any care themselves.

Additional services such as home care, meals on wheels or day care can be provided in the same way as for people living in all other types of accommodation. 

To get sheltered housing, tenants need to provide contact details for at least 2, preferably 3 people (in separate households) who are willing and able to act as ‘responders’ if they need emergency help out of hours. During office hours, the wardens will respond to emergencies and call for appropriate help.

The Sheltered housing tenant handbook explains about the warden service and the support you will receive if you are a sheltered housing tenant.

How is this webpage?

Related Downloads