Trees, woodland and forestry
There are 3 layers of tree protection:
- Tree Preservation Orders (TPO)
- Conservation areas
- Planning conditions
If you want to carry out any tree felling or surgery works to a protected tree, you must get written permission from us. This can be obtained by completing a tree work application form and returning it to the Infrastructure, Environment and Economy Service for their consideration.
Tree Preservation Orders
A Tree Preservation Order protects individual trees and woodlands that make a significant contribution to the appearance or natural beauty of an area, or are of cultural or historical importance.
Please email any search enquiries to:
- firstname.lastname@example.org for the North Highland area (Caithness, Sutherland, Ross, Skye and Lochalsh)
- email@example.com for the South Highland area (Inverness, Nairn, Badenoch and Lochaber)
As the Council Service Points are currently closed, a certified copy of Orders are available below.
Tree Preservation Order No. HC143
- TPO No. HC143, 2021 WOODSIDE FARM, CALDER, HALKIRK NOTICE
- TPO No. HC143, 2021 WOODSIDE FARM, CALDER, HALKIRK SERVED
Tree Preservation Order No. HC142
Tree Preservation Order No. HC141
- TPO No. HC141, 2021 TARREL WOOD, PORTMAHOMACK, TAIN NOTICE
- TPO No. HC141, 2021 TARREL WOOD, PORTMAHOMACK, TAIN SERVED
Tree Preservation Order No. HC140
Tree Preservation Order No. HC139
Tree Preservation Order No. HC138
Tree Preservation Order No. HC137
- TPO No. HC137, 2021 UPPER OSTAIG, KILBEG, SLEAT NOTICE
- TPO No. HC137, 2021 UPPER OSTAIG, KILBEG, SLEAT CONFIRMED
Tree Preservation Order No. HC136
Conservation Areas protect trees and woodlands as important landscape features which often make a significant contribution to the special character of the area.
To determine whether a tree or woodland is within a Conservation Area, please find the specified area on the maps of Conservation Areas
Replacement of protected trees
Where we allow the removal of a protected tree, we expect appropriate replacement planting. In any development plan, trees proposed for removal should be replaced with appropriate planting in a landscape scheme.