Appeal a planning decision

Review/Appeal a Planning Decision

Your planning decision notice will tell you which of these 2 options is applicable:

  • Seek a review through the Local Review Body, or
  • Appeal to Scottish Ministers

You have a period of 3 months from the date of the Decision Notice in which to lodge a review or appeal.  For example, this means a Decision Notice dated 20 October 2022 must be challenged by 19 January 2023 or it will be invalid and returned.


Review by Local Review Body

If your application was for a local scale development determined by officers, then you should seek a review of the case by the Local Review Body.

This body is administered by our Review Body Administrative Team, and is quite separate from the planning service. 


Appeal to Scottish Ministers

This action should be taken for major applications or local applications which were determined by a Planning Applications Committee. This should also be used for:

  • Listed building consent
  • Conservation area consent
  • Consent to display advertisements
  • Mineral development applications
  • Hazardous substances applications

You can submit an appeal online at the Scottish Government's e-planning portal or by sending the appeal to The Planning and Environmental Appeals Division (see address at bottom of page) with a copy sent to the Highland Council at: 

The Highland Council
Glenurquhart Road

Review/Appeals should not be sent directly to the Case Officer


The decision reached on your appeal will be final, subject to any further appeal to the Court of Session or application for a judicial review.