Road permit for Eigg, Muck and Knoydart
Small Isles Vehicle Permit Scheme
There is a Prohibition Order which restricts vehicular access to the Small Isles and Knoydart. This has been in place since 2003. This Order was driven and is supported by the Small Isles and Knoydart Communities who wish to maintain their tranquil lifestyle as well as protecting the fragile road infrastructure.
Types of permits:
- Residents, that is ordinarily resident for 8 months of the year
- Temporary permits for registered contractors to take a vehicle which is being used to convey essential heavy equipment which cannot be transported without the use of a vehicle
- Provision for registered disabled persons' vehicles
Permits are no longer available or processed at Service Points. You can get them from the Community Services Office at Carr's Corner, Fort William.
Please allow for 7 working days to make an application before your planned trip. It is possible for us to post permits out, but we can't guarantee that it will be delivered on time if you haven't given enough notice.
You can obtain your permit:
- By emailing your application form and relevant documents to email@example.com
- By post to Community Services, Carr's Corner Industrial Estate, Fort William PH33 6TL
- By prior appointment at our office in Fort William – email firstname.lastname@example.org to arrange an appointment.
If you have questions regarding your permit, please call our Service Centre on 01349 886601 in the first instance.
Permits must be displayed on the vehicle.