Road permit for Eigg, Muck and Knoydart
Small Isles Vehicle Permit Scheme
There is a Prohibition Order which restricts vehicular access to the Small Isles and Knoydart. This has been in place since 2003. This Order was driven and is supported by the Small Isles and Knoydart Communities who wish to maintain their tranquil lifestyle as well as protecting the fragile road infrastructure.
Types of permits:
- Residents, that is ordinarily resident for 8 months of the year
- Temporary permits for registered contractors to take a vehicle which is being used to convey essential heavy equipment which cannot be transported without the use of a vehicle
- Provision for registered disabled persons' vehicles
Permits are no longer available or processed at Service Points. You can get them from the Community Services Office at Carr's Corner, Fort William.
Please allow for 7 working days to make an application before your planned trip. It is possible for us to post permits out, but we can't guarantee that it will be delivered on time if you haven't given enough notice.
Please email completed applications to CommunityServices.Lochaber@highland.gov.uk. Alternatively, you can print it off, fill it in and post or take it in person to the Carr's Corner Office, Fort William.
- Small Isles and Knoydart application for a temporary permit
- Small Isles Community Event Permit Application
- Small Isles Permit Information - Prohibition Order