Help with the Cost of Living
Advice and Information services
Find out about
If you are unsure about your entitlements, or any information contained on this page, you should seek advice and support from a professional agency such as The Highland Council Welfare Support Team or your local Citizens Advice Bureau
Money worry's leaflet
The Worrying About Money? leaflet, provides a wide range of relevant financial advice and support with contact details together in a user-friendly format aimed at people who are struggling to make ends meet.
The guide covers information for people waiting for claims to be assessed as well as those already receiving benefits. Topics including advice on what to do if anyone finds themselves having a sudden loss of income or if their statutory sick pay does not cover their living expenses. There is also information on how to apply to the Scottish Welfare Fund, maximising income and benefit advice, debt advice and how to challenge a decision.
Welfare Support Team
Our aim is to put more money in your pocket so that you can pay your bills, heat your home and have a better quality of life.
- Advise you about all the benefits and other entitlements that are available
- Undertake benefit checks to ensure you are not missing out on any benefits
- Provide assistance to help you complete the relevant forms
- Help you with advice and support if your application for benefit is turned down or you do not receive the amount you were expecting
Watch our video below:
Watch our video below:
The Welfare Support Team provide free, impartial and confidential support to claim all benefits and entitlements. Contact the Welfare Support Team by
- Crisis grants - if you need help quickly or to deal with an emergency
- Help to live independently in the community or to ease family pressures
- telephone: 0800 090 1004 or
- Our Welfare Support team can advise you what help is available for your circumstances. Contact them by email to email@example.com or by calling 0800 090 1004
Scottish Government's Cost of Living Support
Help during the cost of living crisis webpage
Citizens Advice Bureau
Citizens Advice Bureau offer free, impartial and confidential advice to the general public. They deliver support and guidance on a range of topics including welfare, money and housing advice, giving people the information they need to deal with any situation and improve their lives.
- Find your local CAB: https://www.cas.org.uk/bureaux or
- telephone: 0800 028 1456
Energy Efficient Scotland: Area Based Scheme
The Scottish Government has awarded funding to help Highland Council deliver energy efficiency programmes in the Highlands as part of the Energy Efficient Scotland: Area Based Scheme (EES:ABS).
The area based programmes aim to:
- Target fuel-poor areas
- Offer insulation measures (Cavity Wall and Loft Insulation)
- Heat your property through an Air Source Heat Pump
- Offer solar PV and battery storage
Funding is available from the Scottish Government for the installation of measures.
- Scottish Government Energy Efficient Scotland: Area Based Scheme (EES:ABS) grant – is based on property eligibility criteria
Air Source Heat Pump, Cavity Wall, Loft Insulation, Solar PV and Battery Storage
These measures are eligible for:
- Scottish Government EES:ABS grant
An owner's contribution may be required to cover the remainder of the cost for installation.
Keeping you safe is important and we appreciate your continued patience. Regular communication will be issued to those who are in the process of receiving energy efficiency measures delivered under the scheme.
Please note there may be a delay dealing with your enquiry. If you have a question relating to the EES:ABS programme, please contact EES-ABS@highland.gov.uk.
Home Energy Scotland
Home Energy Scotland can help with free, impartial advice on saving energy, keeping warm at home, renewable energy, cutting water waste and more. They have also published a detailed list of programmes and services that can help with financial support like debt, emergency funding and fuel vouchers.
- Further information: www.homeenergyscotland.org
- Freephone (from landlines and most mobile networks): 0808 808 2282
Shelter Scotland services provide practical support and advice to people experiencing bad housing or homelessness. Our advice helpline is the best way to contact for emergencies and urgent housing-advice matters. You’ll receive confidential and practical advice including your rights, offer guidance and link you up with specialist or local services to help you longer term.
- Free helpline: 0808 800 4444
Further information: https://scotland.shelter.org.uk/housing_advice