How to make a complaint

If you are still dissatisfied

If you are still dissatisfied with our decision or the way we dealt with your complaint, you can ask the Scottish Public Services Ombudsman to look at it.

The Ombudsman cannot normally look at a complaint that has not completed our complaints procedure, so please make sure it has done so before contacting them. Once you have exhausted the Council's complaints process we will signpost you to the Ombudsman in our correspondence.

The Ombudsman also cannot normally look at events that happened, or that you became aware of, more than a year ago or a matter that has been or is being considered in court.