How to make a complaint

We are committed to providing high quality services. Sometimes, as a customer you may feel our standards are not good enough. When this happens we want to try to understand the situation, fix any issues quickly and learn from them.

We have implemented the Scottish Public Services Ombudsman's Model Complaints Handling Procedure which is split into 5 parts.

A complaint is an expression of dissatisfaction by one or more members of the public about the Council's action or lack of action, or about the standard of service provided by or on behalf of the Council.

If you are telling us about something for the first time, please give us the opportunity to put things right before complaining by contacting the local service directly in the first instance.

Common faults or concerns:

report a problem

request a service

Complaints about schools

Contact the Head Teacher

Complaints about Councillors

Contact the Commissioner for Ethical Standards in Public Life.

What we don't deal with as complaints

  • A request for compensation only
  • Issues that are in court or have already been heard by a court or a tribunal, please go to the Scottish Court Service
  • A disagreement with a decision where a statutory right of appeal exists, for example in relation to council tax or planning
  • Previously concluded complaints, please go to the Scottish Public Services Ombudsman

Make a complaint

If you have tried reporting the problem and it has not been resolved you can make a complaint in the following ways:

We understand that you may be unable, or reluctant, to make a complaint yourself. We can accept complaints from a friend, relative, or an advocate, if you have given them your consent to complain for you. If you require further information email

You can find out about advocates in your area by contacting the Scottish Independent Advocacy Alliance.