Council Tax - discounts for properties

Under repair

You may be entitled to an exemption in this category if your property is unoccupied and is either:

  • Undergoing or has undergone major repair work to make it suitable to live in
  • Undergoing or has undergone structural alterations

The exemption starts on the day the work begins and ends on completion of the major repair work or structural alterations or 12 months after the last day it was occupied, whichever is sooner.

If you are a new owner you may be entitled to a 50 per cent discount (for up to six months) even though more than 12 months have passed from the last day the property was occupied. 

Apply for a discount