Advice for private tenants

Paying rent

Housing Benefit or Universal Credit may be available to help you pay rent if you are on a low income or not working. 

You can apply for Universal Credit here.

If you think you will struggle to make rent payments, you can get free and impartial money advice here:

Your landlord can only increase your rent once every 12 months and must give you at least three months’ notice. You can challenge a rent increase through Rent Service Scotland.