Skip to content
You are here: Home | Access | Camping


Access rights extend to wild camping. This type of camping is lightweight, done in small numbers and only for two or three nights in any one place. You can camp in this way wherever access rights apply, but help to avoid causing problems for local people and land managers by not camping in enclosed fields of crops or farm animals and by keeping well away from buildings, roads or historic structures. Take extra care to avoid disturbing deer stalking or grouse shooting. If you wish to camp close to a house or building, seek the owner's permission.

Leave no trace by removing all your litter and not damaging any trees, stone walls or fences whilst camping.   If bins are full at a site do not try to overfill the bin or leave bagged rubbish at the side, take your litter away with you, either to home or another (not full) bin/recycling point -  see locations at 

Access rights do not extend to driving a vehilce away from the road.  

Wild camping – Is camping in discreet areas well away from cars, roads, dwellings, historic structures and key recreational areas (visitor attractions, picnic sites).   Small groups and would involve walking with camping gear to the site in a single trip.  Generally not visible to those passing along a road or from an dwelling.

Informal camping – Camping anywhere outside of a formal campsite  

Roadside (or car) camping - camping immediately adjacent to the public road or your car/van.  Making repeated trips to the vehicle/roadside from the site to set up camp. 

Dirty camping – camping irresponsibly, leaving litter, fire marks, obvious toileting

Overnight parking – Any sleeping in a vehicle overnight is not camping (wild, freedom or any other term) it is simply overnight parking and sleeping in a vehicle.