Reduce, reuse, recycle for Highland

Around 143,000 tonnes of waste are currently produced by Highland households and Highland Council Business Waste customers each year. At present 43% of your waste is recycled. The majority of the remaining 57% is sent to be landfilled.

From the 1st of January 2021 a ban on landfilling biodegradable municipal waste (BMW) in Scotland will come into force. The ban is one of a number of measures set out in the Waste (Scotland) Regulations 2012 to promote more sustainable resource use and waste management and the development of a more circular economy. The ban is also intended to address the negative environmental and climate impacts of landfilling waste.

In order to meet the ban urgent action is required to deliver suitable alternative waste management arrangements for residual waste (refuse) collected by the Highland Council.

In June 2019 planning permission was granted for a new centralised waste management facility (Materials Recovery Facility) on part of the former Longman landfill site in Inverness.

The Materials Recovery Facility will receive and process Highland refuse to recover recyclable materials.  It will also reclaim value from the remaining refuse by preparing it for use as Refuse Derived Fuel.  The Refuse Derived Fuel would be exported for use elsewhere in Scotland, the UK or Europe in thermal treatment facilities (Energy From Waste plants), which use the fuel to produce electricity and heat. 

More information on the new MRF

We all have a part to play in reducing the amount of waste that is produced here in Highland.   By continuing to reduce, reuse and recycle as much as possible, we can all contribute towards better waste management in the region. 

There are lots of small changes we can all make that can make a big difference. Check out our top tips for your home.

How is this webpage?