Animal health and welfare

Sheep and goats

If you intend to keep sheep or goats you must:

  1. Register with your local Rural Payment and Inspections Directorate (RPID) office who will allocate a County Parish Holding (CPH) number if you have not already got one
  2. You must inform your local Animal and Plant Health Agency (APHA), who will provide you with a herd mark for your holding. This herd mark will enable you to buy ear tags

Identification and traceability

Identification and traceability are a vital part of animal disease control in Scotland. In the event of a disease outbreak, it is important that all animals can be identified and movements traced quickly and efficiently to prevent the spread of the disease. The Scottish Government provides guidance on sheep and goat traceability and ScotEID offers further information on traceability .

Movements of sheep

All movements for sheep and goats (except for emergency veterinary treatment) must be accompanied by a movement document. A copy of the movement document must be retained at the holdings of departure and destination for 3 years. The information relating to the movement must also be notified to Scottish Animal Movement Unit (SAMU) within 3 days of the movement.

Read our guidance:

Read The Scottish Government's advice