Employing a personal assistant
Self-directed Support offers a way to have care provided by someone chosen by you, at a time suited to your needs. If you choose to receive a direct payment then you can employ your own personal assistant. However to become an employer there will be some things you need to know.
People who receive a direct payment and wish to employ their own personal assistants are responsible for processing payroll, making sure all tax and national insurance is paid, arranging indemnity and public liability insurance, establishing an employment contract, making sure that the carer has undertaken appropriate training and has an up to date PVG certificate from Disclosure Scotland, making provision for an occupational pension and paying the carer the recognised living wage.
The employment of family members will not normally be agreed unless exceptional circumstances exist.
Options for doing your own payroll:
Help with finding and employing a personal assistant or payroll and other aspects of employing
- Cantraybridge College - Cantraybridge College, 3 Cantray Square, Croy, IV25PP
- Jude's Homecare - 1A Huntly Terrace, Inverness, IV3 5PS
Phone 01463 242147, 07526910375 or 07733115831
- VAL - Voluntary Action Lochaber
Phone 07766 017057
- SPAEN - (Scottish Personal Assistant Employers Network)
Phone 0845 601 1156
- PA Network Scotland (Personal Assistants Network Scotland)
Phone 01563 522551