Public transport in Highland
Community transport refers to a range of transportation services that are provided by or for local communities, typically in areas where regular public transport options are limited.
It aims to address the transportation needs of people who may face difficulties accessing conventional public transport, such as:
- the elderly
- disabled individuals
- those with low income
- people living in rural or remote areas
The primary goal is to improve social inclusion, access to essential services, and ensure that individuals who may face transportation barriers can still participate in community life and maintain their independence.
Initiatives and projects led by Community Transport groups within in the Highlands give communities direct involvement in solutions which meet their transport needs.
Our Transport Co-Ordination Unit team looks to encourage and support these initiatives with the Community Transport grant fund. Invitations are currently open for the April 2024 to March 2027 period, with a deadline for submission of 22 September 2023.
Community transport groups we support
- Badenoch & Strathspey Community Transport Company
- Beauly and District Care Project
- Boleskine Community Care
- Caithness Rural Transport
- Care Lochaber
- Connect Assynt
- Community Support and Information Ross-Shire
- Dornoch Area Community Interest Company
- Gairloch Community Car Scheme
- Glenelg & Arnisdale Bus Users Group
- Go Golspie
- Helmsdale Community Transport
- Highlife Highland
- Lochaber Action on Disability
- Nairn Community Transport
- North West Community Bus Association
- Partnerships for Wellbeing
- Shopmobility Highland
- South Lochaber Community Company - 07916270920
- South West Ross Community Car Scheme
- Sleat Community Trust
- Strathnairn Community Access and Transport Association
- Transport for Tongue
- Wheels in Nairnshire
Starting your own community group
We are accepting new grant applications for starting in April 2024 and further information will be available on Community Transport Grants.