Community asset transfer
The Community Empowerment (Scotland) Act 2015 aims to empower communities by giving them control over assets so they can work together to make better communities.
The Act moves asset transfer from a voluntary approach by public bodies to one which introduces a right for community bodies to make requests for ownership, lease, management or use of publicly owned buildings or land whether or not they are available for sale or considered surplus to requirements .
We have a responsibility to assess requests transparently against a specified list of criteria, and to agree the request unless there are reasonable grounds for refusal.
The category ‘non-operational’ refers to property which is held which is not used to deliver (directly or indirectly) a council service.
How to submit an asset request to us
We encourage groups to submit an initial transfer request expression of interest in order to understand your interest, direct you to appropriate supports and provide you with a contact for accessing any relevant information that you may need to submit a complete asset transfer formal application.
- Asset transfer request process guidance
- Community asset transfer flowchart
- Process and procedure - review of decision
- Expression of Interest Privacy Notice
- Asset Transfer Request Privacy Notice
Validated Asset Transfer Requests are evaluated using an Assessment Framework.
- Lochinver Mission - Assynt Development Trust
- Acharacle Community Centre - Acharacle Community Company
- Land at Former Torvean Golf Course, Inverness - Inverness Rowing Club
- Rosebank Playing Fields and Pavilion - Wick Community Hub
- Land at South Bonar Industrial Estate - Kyle of Sutherland Hub
- Public Toilets, Picnic Area and Car Park, Kinlochewe - Community Out West Trust
- Land between Braes of Balvonie, Inverness and the A9 - Balvonie Park Association
- Car Park at Station Rd, Corpach - Kilmallie Community Centre Ltd
- Applecross Car Park - Applecross Community Company
- Drumnadrochit Tourist Information Centre and Public Toilets - Glenurquhart Rural Community Association
- Land at former skate park, Jubilee Park Road, Dingwall - Dingwall Men's Shed
- Land at Clachan Graveyard Extension, Bettyhill - Strathnaver Museum
- Land at Whitedykes Industrial Estate, Cromarty - Cromarty Community Development Trust
- 4b Docharty Road, Dingwall - Dingwall Men's Shed
- Ormlie Community Centre, Thurso - Ormlie Community Association, Ltd.
- Spean Bridge Community Centre - Spean Bridge Community Centre SCIO
- Land at Falls of Foyers Car Park - Stratherrick and Foyers Community Trust
- Strathpeffer Spa Garden and Pump Room - Strathpeffer Pavilion Community Trust
- Bettyhill Visitor Centre - Strathnaver Museum
- Seaboard Community Polytunnel Group - Portion of Harbour Green, Balintore
- Nairn Citizens' Advice Bureau - Buildings at 60-62 King Street, Nairn
- Inverness Men's Shed - Pavilion at Millburn Academy
- Strathpeffer Residents' Association - Land and playpark adjacent to Ord Terrace
- Ardnamurchan Lighthouse Trust - Site Surrounding Ardnamurchan Lighthouse
- Helmsdale and District Development Trust - Coupers Yard, Helmsdale
- Staffin Community Trust - Storr Project
- Seaboard Memorial Hall - Balintore Harbour Toilets
- Wick MS Centre - Wick MS Centre
- Highland Third Sector Interface - Former Assessor's Office, Dingwall
- Gairloch Area Development Ltd - Car Park Toilets
Support and advice
- Ten Steps to Community Ownership (Highlands and Islands Enterprise)
- Community Ownership Support Service
- Scottish Government - Asset Transfer
- Highland Third Sector Interface