Check if you need or have planning permission

Short Term Let

It is the operator’s responsibility to ensure they have the necessary planning permission when applying for a Short Term Let Licence application. The Licensing Authority will not do this on the operator’s behalf.

To check if your property has or requires permission you can:

  • Search using Highland Council Public Access
  • Submit a Development Enquiry form 

Search using Highland Council Public Access

If you believe that the property has previously benefitted from planning permission, you can use Highland Council Public Access to search.  Applications from the year 2010 onwards are available on public access.

Highland Council Public Access provides a variety of methods to allow you to find the information you are looking for:

  • Basic search - search for applications according to entered text. Associated documents are available from the documents tab. When an application has been withdrawn no associated documents are visible.
  • Advanced search - search according to a wide combination of factors
  • Map search - search using an interactive map tool
  • Property search - search for a particular property to which applications may apply

Full guidance can be found in our Guide to using Highland Council Public Access

Submit a Development Enquiry form

The Highland Council offers a Development Enquiry service to provide advice on the need for planning permission for your property.  However, this does not have any formal legal standing. 

Please choose drop-down Short Term Let on the enquiry form.

Make a Development Enquiry

Informal direct contact with one of our planning officers will not provide you with the information you need and you will be directed back to these routes.