How to make a complaint

We are committed to providing high quality services. Sometimes, as a customer you may feel our standards are not good enough. When this happens we want to try to understand the situation, fix any issues quickly and learn from them.

A complaint is an expression of dissatisfaction about one of our services that requires a response.

If you are telling us about something for the first time, please give us the opportunity to put things right before complaining by contacting the local service directly in the first instance.

Common faults or concerns:

report a problem

request a service

Complaints should be made within 12 months of the event itself. If you feel this limit should not apply to your complaint, please tell us why.

Complaints about schools

Contact the Head Teacher

Complaints about Councillors

Please contact the Commissioner for Ethical Standards in Public Life.

What we don't deal with as complaints

  • A request for compensation only
  • Issues that are in court or have already been heard by a court or a tribunal, please go to the Scottish Court Service
  • A disagreement with a decision where a statutory right of appeal exists, for example in relation to council tax or planning
  • Previously concluded complaints, please go to the Scottish Public Services Ombudsman

Make a complaint

 If you have tried reporting the problem and it has not been resolved you can make a complaint in the following ways:

We understand that you may be unable, or reluctant, to make a complaint yourself. We can accept complaints from a friend, relative, or an advocate, if you have given them your consent to complain for you.

You can find out about advocates in your area by contacting the Scottish Independent Advocacy Alliance.

Customer Satisfaction Survey

We aim to offer the highest standard of service at all times. We would like to know your views on how we dealt with your recent complaint.

Please take a few minutes to complete this survey and share your views with us.

How is this webpage?