How to make a complaint

What happens when you complain

Your complaint will be passed to someone in the council service that relates to your complaint. They will assess if it can be resolved within 5 working days (stage 1) or will take longer (a stage 2 complaint) and send you an acknowledgement, explaining when you should expect to receive a final response.

Stage 1 – frontline resolution

We aim to resolve complaints when you contact us. This could mean an on-the-spot apology and explanation if something has clearly gone wrong, and action to resolve the problem.

We will give you our decision at stage 1 in five working days or less, unless there are exceptional circumstances.

If we can’t resolve your complaint at this stage, we will explain why and tell you what you can do next.

Stage 2 – complaints requiring investigation

Complaints that have not been resolved within the stage 1 timescale or complaints that we assess are complex or require a detailed investigation are called stage 2 complaints.

When using stage 2 we will:

  • acknowledge receipt of your complaint within three working days ;
  • discuss your complaint with you to understand why you remain dissatisfied and what outcome you are looking for ; and
  • give you a full response to the complaint as soon as possible and within 20 working days.

If our investigation will take longer than 20 working days, we will tell you. We will agree revised time limits with you and keep you updated on progress.

How is this webpage?