Council Tax - discounts for people

Severely mentally impaired people

The initial Council Tax bill for a property assumes there are at least 2 residents aged 18 or over. A full charge for Council Tax, Water and Waste Water is then applied.

You may be able to get a discount if you, or someone who lives with you, have been classed as severely mentally impaired. 

If a person is severely mentally impaired, they are not included ("disregarded") as occupiers for the purposes of calculating Council Tax.

To qualify, the person's doctor must certify the impairment. The person must also be entitled to one of the following benefits:

  • incapacity benefit
  • attendance allowance
  • severe disablement allowance
  • employment and support allowance
  • armed forces independence payment
  • disability element of working Tax credit
  • unemployability supplement or allowance
  • income support (which includes the disability premium)
  • daily living component of personal independence payment
  • care component (at the high or middle rate) of disability living allowance
  • increased rate of disablement pension where constant attendance is needed
  • universal credit (including an element for limited capability for work or limited capability for work and work-related activity)
  • adult disability payment (ADP) (Standard or enhanced rate of daily living component)
  • child disability payment (middle, or higher rate care component)
  • constant attendance allowance paid with a War Pension

Apply for a discount