Children and young people with visual impairments
Highland Education Vision Support Service
The Highland Education Vision Support Service (HEVSS) works with visually
impaired children and young people up to age 19 and for those pupils who have additional support needs of which a visual impairment is a contributing factor.
We work in partnership with other partners and support services and provide advice, training and adapted materials to early education and school staff to help deliver the curriculum to visually impaired children and young people.
- Functional assessment of vision in an educational setting
- Advice, support and vision awareness training for class teachers, nursery teachers and additional support needs staff
- Advice and support for visually impaired children and young people and their peer groups
- Specialist teaching in text telephone and braille
- Adaptation and modification of text materials for individual children
- Transposing text into braille
- Loan of limited range of specialist equipment and large print library books
- Training in use of specialist equipment
- Linked working practices in line with getting it right for each child
- Advice on specialist contact working in the field of visual impairment