Education Scotland inspect a number of schools each year as part of their national monitoring of the education system.
The purpose of a school inspection is to:
- Promote improvement by supporting the school to continue to improve
- Evaluate and report on a school’s capacity to improve
- Provide assurance to users on the quality of education
- Provide evidence for the national overview of Scottish education
To evaluate the quality of provision, inspections focus on the following questions:
- How well do young people learn and achieve?
- How well does the school support young people to develop and learn?
- How well does the school improve the quality of its work?
This final question is evaluated by the inspection team and the response is described as:
- Partially confident
- Non confident