Agendas, reports and minutes
Isle of Skye and Raasay Committee
Date: Monday, 11 December 2017
Minutes: Read the Minutes
Minutes of Meeting of the Isle of Skye and Raasay Committee (Comataidh an Eilein Sgitheanaich agus Ratharsair) held in the Chamber, Tigh na Sgire, Park Lane, Portree on Monday, 11 December, 2017 at 9.30 am.
Mr J Finlayson, Mr J Gordon, Mr R MacDonald
Mr W MacKinnon, Ward Manager, Chief Executive’s Service
Mr J Holden, Housing Manager (North), Community Services
Mr G MacDonald, Senior Engineer, Community Services
Mr A MacInnes, Administrative Assistant, Chief Executive’s Service
An asterisk in the margin denotes a recommendation to the Council. All decisions with no marking in the margin are delegated to the Committee.
Mr J Gordon – Cathraiche (Chair)
1. Apologies for Absence
Apologies for absence were intimated on behalf of Mr C MacLeod and Mr F Nixon, Group Manager, Scottish Fire and Rescue Service.
2. Declarations of Interest
There were no declarations of interest.
There were circulated for information Minutes of Meeting of the Isle of Skye and Raasay Committee (Comataidh an Eilein Sgitheanaich agus Ratharsair) held on 11 September, 2017, the terms of which were NOTED.
4. Scottish Fire and Rescue Service Local Committee Performance Report for 2016-17
Aithisg Dèanadais Comataidh Ionadail Seirbheis Smàlaidh agus Teasairginn na h-Alba airson 2016-17
There was circulated Report No SR/21/17 by the Local Senior Officer, Scottish Fire and Rescue Service which provided an update on the progress against the priorities outlined in the Area Plan for the Isle of Skye and Raasay 2016 - 2017. The report also contained previously agreed information and performance as requested by Committee Members.
The Committee NOTED the Local Performance Report as circulated.
5. Future Transformation of the Scottish Fire and Rescue Service
Cruth-atharrachadh Seirbheis Smàlaidh agus Teasairginn na h-Alba san Àm ri Teachd
This item was deferred until a future meeting.
6. Roads Maintenance Programme for 2018/19
Prògram Càradh Rathaidean airson 2018/19
There was circulated Report No.SR/22/17 by the Director of Community Services, which invited Members to approve the proposed 2018/19 Road Maintenance Programme for the Isle of Skye and Raasay.
In discussion, the following main points were raised:-
• It was noted that surface dressing was carried out on newly surfaced roads to provide additional protection, otherwise the road would start to deteriorate.
• It was requested that the road from the roundabout at the Skye Bridge leading into Kyleakin be considered for surface dressing, given its poor condition and an undertaking was given to look at this;
• There was a significant amount of the road network that required treatment, but the budget was not sufficient to undertake all the work that was needed, so work on roads had to be prioritised.
• There were a number of outstanding works required on road drainage, and in particular Staffin Road, Portree was referred to. Works on drainage would be carried out when budget resources permitted this.
• It was advised that it was an offence to allow water to discharge onto a public road from private land under the Roads (Scotland) Act. Action could be taken against the owner of private land in such cases. Any specific cases brought to Officers attention would be investigated.
• It was advised that the road maintenance budget allocation for the different categories of maintenance across the Highland Council Areas was based on a standard formulae;
• It was queried if the winter maintenance allocation was sufficient. It was advised that due to budgetary savings measures, a local gritter for Portree was taken as a saving. This meant that a gritter had to finish off other routes before it arrived in Portree.
The Committee APPROVED the proposed 2018/19 Road Maintenance Programme for the Isle of Skye & Raasay.
7. Housing Performance Report
Aithisg Dèanadais Taigheadais
There was circulated Report No. SR/23/17 by the Director of Community Services which provided information on how the Housing Section had performed in relation to the Scottish Social Housing Charter and other performance indicators up to 30 September, 2017.
In discussion, the following main points were raised:-
• It was advised that interviews for the local Principal Housing Officer post would take place on 11th January, 2018;
• It was welcomed that an additional 2 Maintenance Technicians had recently been employed and it was anticipated there would be an improved emergency and non emergency repairs performance in future.
• It was noted that a progress report on the HRA Capital Programme would be submitted to the next meeting of the Committee;
• Housing Management Officers would address rent arrears, and local performance on rent arrears was good;
• There were 32 homeless presentations for the Skye and Raasay area at the end of quarter 2 2017. The total number of people classed as homeless for the local area (including those in temporary accommodation and homeless at home) would be provided for Members.
The Committee having scrutinised the report, NOTED the information provided on housing performance in the period 1 April 2017 to 30 September 2017.
The meeting ended at 10.30 a.m.
- Item 3 - Minutes Report, 59.17 KB
- Item 4 - Scottish Fire and Rescue Service Local Committee Performance Report Report, 957.3 KB
- Item 6 - Roads Maintenance Programme for 2018/19 Report, 1.03 MB
- Item 7 - Housing Performance Report Report, 77.6 KB