Services for children and families
We want to give every child and young person in Highland the best possible start in life. Helping our children to realise their potential is the key to giving them a sense of self-fulfillment and equipping them well for their future.
As parents and carers, many of us need information, advice, or support at some time in our lives. We can:
- Assess your child's needs and your own needs
- Provide support services or other interventions
- Make fostering and adoption arrangements
- Take effective steps to keep children safe
If you are worried that a child may be at risk of serious harm, please make early contact with a professional to discuss your concerns:
- Phone us on 0800 0938100 (office hours) or 0845 601 4813 (out of hours)
- Speak to health service staff, for example, GP, health visitor, school nurse
- Speak to education staff, for example, teachers, nursery staff, children's support workers
- If you consider a child or young person is in immediate danger, call the Police on 999
Handsonscotland offers lots of practical information and techniques on how to respond to children and young people. The advice can help build up their self-esteem and promote their positive mental well-being.
Information relating to children is sensitive. We are committed to respecting the confidentiality of enquirers and of childcare and education providers, particularly childminders. You have a right to decide what information you choose to share with us.
You also have a right to know what information is held about you and to change that information if you believe it to be inaccurate. Responsibility for ensuring confidentiality lies with the Highland Childcare Information Service.
The safety of a child
The confidentiality of service users or personnel will only be breached if any information received by the Highland Childcare Information Service gives rise to concern for the safety or well-being of a child. Our team will contact The Care Inspectorate immediately.