This year’s planned works on the rock face are now complete and the A890 will reopen to all traffic at 7am on Friday the 23rd November. Traffic lights will be in operation to allow finishing of the reinstatement works so short delays should still be expected.
The annual inspection reports are now available on the web site. The 2018 report has again highlighted areas for the Council to consider and plan future works. It is likely, following Council committee approval, that further works will be carried out in 2019/20. Planning for these works has started and updates will be provided early in 2019 regarding programme and timing.
A rock fall in December 2011 resulted in the closure of the A890 at the Stromeferry Bypass for several months. The closure led to major disruption with motorists facing a 130 mile diversion.
31 route options located in 6 route corridors were identified during a pre-appraisal study period. These were sifted to 17 route options. A shortlist was established to take forward to a second stage of more detailed appraisal.
- 2 northern routes with either a tunnel or bridge across Strome Narrows
- 5 online options with either a viaduct, tunnel, extended avalanche shelter and shared use rail or road or do minimum on the existing line of the road
- 1 southern route through Glen Udalain
- 1 renewable energy option
The detailed appraisal of these routes is still underway.
- Draft report of the outcomes was presented to local communities
- Presentation from public exhibitions
Email us for more information: email@example.com