Advice and guidance
We have taken steps to allow us to continue to deliver our services for the duration of the COVID-19 situation. Read our full position. Staff will be working remotely, so capacity and access to our usual systems will be reduced. It may take longer to process planning applications, building warrants, RCC's, environmental advice and related aspects of the service. This also includes responses to customer queries, complaints and public comments during this period. Your patience and understanding is appreciated.
If you are doing building work or home improvements the Building Standards Customer Journey is an easy to follow guide to the Building Standards process.
- Advice on building work or home improvements from The Scottish Government
- Leaflets and guidance
- You can also use our Development Enquiry Service for further advice on whether your proposed works require a an application for Building Warrant. Please note there is charge for this service, find out more on our fees page.
- Make a building standards application using eBuildingStandards.scot
- The Scottish Government increased statutory building standards fees on 1 July 2017 - Details of the changes can be found in The Building (Miscellaneous Amendments) (Scotland( Regulations 2017 and the 3rd Edition, Version 1.5 of the Procedural Handbook
- Find out more about Building Standards Fees
Our building standards policy notes give customers advice on how we will deal with a variety of issues.
- View all our policy notes
- Local Authority Building Standards Scotland is our national building standards organisation, and they have also produced a number of policies.
If you need further help, please contact us.