Caithness and Sutherland Local Development Plan
The Caithness and Sutherland Local Development Plan (CaSPlan) sets out our vision and development strategy for the area over the next 20 years. The plan must be read along with National Planning Framework 4 and the Highland-wide Local Development Plan and associated Supplementary Guidance.
Adoption of Plan
On 31 August 2018 CaSPlan was formally adopted by the Council and constituted as part of the Development Plan. It will be used to guide decisions on planning applications.
As CaSPlan has been adopted the focus is now on implementing the Plan. The Caithness and Sutherland Delivery Programme sets out the infrastructure and development required to support the implementation of the Plan's vision, spatial strategy, policies and proposals. Its purpose is to provide information for identifying, monitoring and implementing the actions for delivering future growth in the area. It will be used to help identify which infrastructure projects will be subject to developer contributions requirements and as a tool for coordinating investment in development and infrastructure.
We will continue to work with partners and relevant stakeholders to review and where appropriate amend the Delivery Programme as infrastructure is delivered, opportunities for new development are presented and as pressures change over time.
Caithness and Sutherland Town Centre Strategy
The Caithness and Sutherland Town Centre Strategy aims to support the delivery of CaSPlan by outlining a number of potential actions that may be undertaken to improve the vitality and amenity of the main town centres in the area: Brora, Dornoch, Golspie, Thurso and Wick. The Strategy was adopted as Supplementary Guidance in October 2020.
An associated Action Programme, outlining steps that may be taken by a range of individuals and bodies to improve their town centres, has been drawn together by officers in consultation with Ward Members and the parties mentioned in it.
CaSPlan Preparation Timeline
- August to October 2013 - Call for Sites and Ideas
- October 2014 to February 2015 - Publish and consult on Main Issues Report
- March to April 2015 - Additional Sites and Issues Consultation
- January to March 2016 - Publish and consult on the Proposed Plan
- 30 September to 11 November 2016 - Publish and consult on a Modified Plan
- 6 April 2017 - Submit Modified Plan to Scottish Ministers for Examination
- 11 April 2018 - Examination Report received
- 28 June 2018 - Council approved Intention To Adopt CaSPlan
- 31 August 2018 - CaSPlan adopted
The Council's Statement of Conformity with Participation Statement summarises the publicity and consultation undertaken on CaSPlan and provides links to additional information.
The Background Documents page provides information on previous stages in the preparation of CaSPlan together with a series of background assessments and analysis.
- Development briefs and framework plans - Inverness
- Inner Moray Firth Local Development Plan
- Developer Contributions
- Development Plans Newsletter
- Town Centre Action Plans for Tain, Nairn and Fort William
- West Highland and Islands Local Development Plan
- Active Travel Masterplans
- Fort William 2040 (FW2040)
- FW2040 Consultation Event Report Nov 2022
- Local Place Plans Information Sheet
- Flow Country
- Stratherrick and Foyers Local Place Plan