Non-statutory planning guidance
Action plans for town centre regeneration in Tain, Nairn and Fort William
In 2015 the Council adopted separate Town Centre Action Plans for Tain, Nairn and Fort William as non-statutory planning guidance, which is treated as a material consideration in determining planning applications.
These plans were developed in close collaboration with local community and business representatives to identify the best ways to increase footfall and deliver town centre regeneration. Public consultation events included a series of design workshops that took place in each town during April and May 2014, which were part-funded by the Scottish Government.
The plans focus on the key priorities to make town centres more active, attractive and accessible. These include environmental improvements, making better use of land and existing buildings, and improving access and movement networks.
Town Centre Action Plan preparation process
Public consultation to develop the Town Centre Action Plans took place in two phases during April-May 2014 and March-May 2015.
Public consultation events 2014
The following documents capture ideas and priorities for town centre regeneration identified during public workshops in each town in April and May 2014. They also summarise each workshop process. Workshop outputs informed the development of a Draft Town Centre Action Plan for each town.
- Tain summary leaflet
- Tain workshop
- Nairn summary leaflet
- Nairn workshop
- Fort William summary leaflet
- Fort William workshop
Public consultation events 2015
A consultation on Draft Town Centre Action Plans for Fort William, Nairn and Tain took place between the 12 March and 15 May 2015. Comments received informed the final version of each Action Plan.
- Read the Draft Action Plan for Tain town centre
- View comments received and responses - Tain
- Read the Draft Action Plan for Nairn town centre
- View comments received and responses - Nairn
- Read the Draft Action Plan for Fort William town centre
- View comments received and responses - Fort William
Approval to adopt the Town Centre Action Plans
The finalised action plans along with responses to comments received on each draft plan were agreed by the Council's Area Committees as follows:
- Fort William Town Centre Action Plan: Lochaber Area Committee, 25 August 2015
- Nairn Community Town Centre Plan: Badenoch and Strathspey Area Committee, 23 September 2015
- Tain Town Centre Action Plan: Skye, Ross and Cromarty Area Committee, 18 November 2015
Strategic environmental assessment
As with all plans, policies and strategies we produce, this non-statutory planning guidance has been subject to a strategic environmental assessment to assess the level of significance of any environmental impact.
The following documents are available:
- SEA Screening reports
- Scottish Natural Heritage responses
- Scottish Environment Protection Agency responses
- Historic Scotland responses
- Determination Notices
- Statement of Reasons
- Development briefs and framework plans - Inverness
- Inner Moray Firth Local Development Plan
- Developer Contributions
- Development Plans Newsletter
- Town Centre Action Plans for Tain, Nairn and Fort William
- West Highland and Islands Local Development Plan
- Active Travel Masterplans
- Fort William 2040 (FW2040)
- FW2040 Consultation Event Report Nov 2022
- Local Place Plans Information Sheet
- Flow Country
- Stratherrick and Foyers Local Place Plan