Caithness and Sutherland Local Development Plan
The Caithness and Sutherland Local Development Plan (CaSPlan) sets out our vision and development strategy for the area over the next 20 years.
Adoption of Plan
On 31 August 2018 CaSPlan was formally adopted by the Council and constituted as part of the Development Plan. It has replaced the Caithness Local Plan and Sutherland Local Plan and will be used to guide decisions on planning applications. The adopted version of CaSPlan is available below:
Read the Public Notice that announced the publication of the Adopted Plan.
As CaSPlan has been adopted the focus is now on implementing the Plan. The Caithness and Sutherland Delivery Programme sets out the infrastructure and development required to support the implementation of the Plan's vision, spatial strategy, policies and proposals. Its purpose is to provide information for identifying, monitoring and implementing the actions for delivering future growth in the area. It will be used to help identify which infrastructure projects will be subject to developer contributions requirements and as a tool for coordinating investment in development and infrastructure.
We will continue to work with partners and relevant stakeholders to review and where appropriate amend the Delivery Programme as infrastructure is delivered, opportunities for new development are presented and as pressures change over time.
Consultation on our draft Caithness and Sutherland Town Centre Strategy
We want to identify opportunities and potential actions for the improvement of the five town centres defined in the CaSPlan: Brora, Dornoch, Golspie, Thurso and Wick.
Once approved, this strategy will form part of our Development Plan and be used as a basis for determining planning applications and guiding investment decisions.
Send us your comments before 23 August.
CaSPlan Preparation Timeline
- August to October 2013 - Call for Sites and Ideas
- October 2014 to February 2015 - Publish and consult on Main Issues Report
- March to April 2015 - Additional Sites and Issues Consultation
- January to March 2016 - Publish and consult on the Proposed Plan
- 30 September to 11 November 2016 - Publish and consult on a Modified Plan
- 6 April 2017 - Submit Modified Plan to Scottish Ministers for Examination
- 11 April 2018 - Examination Report received
- 28 June 2018 - Council approved Intention To Adopt CaSPlan
- 31 August 2018 - CaSPlan adopted
The Background Documents page provides information on previous stages in the preparation of CaSPlan together with a series of background assessments and analysis. Read about the process of preparing a Development Plan on the Scottish Government's website.