Planning enforcement

High hedge disputes

If the enjoyment of your home is being negatively affected by a high hedge on neighbouring land, you must speak to your neighbour to try and resolve the issue. As a last resort, you can apply to us to issue your neighbour with a High Hedge Notice.

Your application must include evidence that you have tried to resolve the issue with your neighbour or your application will be dismissed.

Apply for a notice

You must meet the following requirements:

Apply for a notice

If you are unsure whether your neighbour’s hedge or trees meets the requirements outlined above, we offer a pre-application service. This is only intended to advise you whether an application could be accepted, not whether a notice is likely to be served. 



There is a fee of £495 to process your application.

  • If your application is invalid or you withdraw it before our assessment begins, you'll get a full refund
  • If your application is withdrawn after our assessment begins, there will be no refund
  • If your application is dismissed by us you'll get a 50 per cent refund


There is a fee of £88 to process a pre-application; this is deductible from the cost of any subsequent application for a high hedge notice.

Completed application forms should be sent, along with the fee and supporting information, to our ePlanning Centre.

What happens after you apply for a notice

We assess your application, and comments received from interested parties, and decide whether to serve a High Hedge Notice. If a notice is served, it will outline what action is required to reduce the adverse impact of the hedge.

The owner of the hedge may appeal against the notice within 28 days.

You can also appeal if a notice is not served or you disagree with the action outlined in the notice.

Making an appeal

If you have been served with a high hedge notice and wish to appeal, or if you have applied to issue a notice on a neighbour and disagree with our decision, you have up to 28 days to appeal from the day you're notified of our decision.

Appeals must be made to the Scottish Government.

If your neighbour is ignoring a High Hedge Notice

If your neighbour has been served with a High Hedge Notice and you believe they are not taking any action, please report it to us and we will investigate.

Report non-compliance

Tell us something about this topic How is this webpage?