City of Inverness Area Committee
Tasks and responsibilities
The remit of the City of Inverness Area Committee (CIA) is to:
- appoint the Provost and Depute Provosts of Inverness and Leader of Inverness and Area responsible for the running of the Committee and the management of its functions (the Provost and Depute Provosts roles being restricted to Civic Duties only).
- work with partners to achieve the effective promotion and future prosperity of the City/Area, facilitating opportunities for inward investment, regeneration and economic development of the City/Area. This includes the realisation of the “Inverness City Vision.”
- develop appropriate connections with, and ensure Council support for, the local Community Partnership for the area.
- ensure implementation of the Council’s approach to localism and place planning as it relates to the City/Area.
- scrutinise and monitor the local delivery of Council services, within approved resources and strategy.
- scrutinise the performance of, and engage with, Police Scotland and the Scottish Fire and Rescue Service.
- monitor the delivery of Capital Projects within the City/Area as agreed within the Council’s Capital Programme.
- approve delegated local functions e.g. Road Traffic Orders; Road Construction Consents; and Upholding Access Rights such as Notices applying to various sections of Part 1 of the Land Reform (Scotland) Act 2003.
- champion local initiatives which promote and support the traditional languages, heritage, and culture of the Highlands.
- deal with requests for and make nomination / appointments to local outside bodies not covered by the Council or Strategic Committees e.g. Local Access Forums. In the case of Local Access Forums, only where multiple nominations or appointments are necessary.
- agree methods and approaches for community engagement and participation, in relation to City/Area business.
- ensure that all decisions taken are within the terms of the legislation governing the work of the Council and the approved Scheme of Delegation to Committees and Officers and the Council’s Financial Regulations.
- consider and promote local initiatives which advance equality under the Equality Act and tackle socio-economic disadvantage.
At the meeting of the Highland Council on 6 September 2012 it was agreed that the Committee, previously known as the Inverness City Committee (ICC), be renamed the City of Inverness Area Committee (CIA).
Further details of the terms of reference and the powers and duties delegated to the Committee are set out in the Council's Scheme of Delegation.