City region deal project information
Northern Innovation Hub (Pan Highland)
The Northern Innovation Hub (NIH) builds on and accelerates current business innovation support services in the region, enabling an increased focus on sectoral opportunities which will build global competitive advantage. It is not a physical hub; instead it is a coherent grouping of projects designed to benefit small and emerging businesses.
- Graduate placement programmes
- Intensive support to young and new businesses
- Digital skills programmes
- Adoption of competitive digital practices for highland businesses
Progress remains steady, despite staff shortages, delays to the Food and Drink business case and the Tourism Leaders project.
- A revised business case for the food and drink centre was submitted in January 2019 and received final approval in April 2019.
- 9 individual projects have now been launched and are delivering outputs.
- On track to get a further 4 projects up and running by the end of 2019/20.
- Some of the programmes have been under-subscribed and we are working with individual contractors on boosting numbers.
- The new Nexus facility was successfully launched to coincide with National Coworking Day on 6th June 2019 at a well-attended business breakfast.
Deal Funding £11 m UK Government
Project Lead Claire Munro (HIE)