Types of permission

Guide to types of planning permission

Get planning permission

  • Full planning permission - this covers the majority of applications for new buildings, extensions, alterations to existing buildings and changing the use of a building or piece of land. Full details of your proposals need to be submitted for this type of consent
  • Permission in Principle - allows you to apply without providing full details of the design or siting at the outset. This consent does not actually allow you to start your development – it just means that it is acceptable in principle. A new application will need to be submitted giving the full details of the proposals before any development can start
  • Approval of Matters Specified in a Condition - this needs to be submitted following the granting of planning permission for Permission in Principle. This needs to include full details of the proposal as well as any other information requested as part of the conditions of the original consent
  • Advertisement Consent - some advertisements have ‘deemed consent’ meaning that formal consent is not required. For other proposals you will need to apply for advertisement consent
  • Certificate of Lawfulness (existing) - for a retrospective application for an existing building or use which does not have consent or has been implemented in breach of planning regulations
  • Certificate of Lawfulness (proposed) - for an application for a Lawful Development Certificate for a proposed use or development and may be used to verify that your proposal is a Permitted Development
  • Conservation Area Consent - for applications to demolish a structure within a conservation area
  • Listed Building Consent - most works to a listed building, internal or external need listed building consent, and may also need full planning permission
  • Prior Notification & Prior Approval - Prior Notification is a procedure where a developer must notify the planning authority of details of its proposed development before exercising Permitted Development Rights. The outcome of this notification will be either that Prior Approval is not required, allowing the development to proceed, or that Prior Approval is necessary, requiring additional steps to be taken.
  • Proposal of Application Notice - A Proposal of Application Notice (PAN) is submitted by the developer to the Council. It is not a planning application but a notice to the Council advising of how the developer intends to engage with the community about their proposal. This allows the community to put their views directly to the developer. All national or major categories of developments are required to submit a proposal of application notice at least 12 weeks before the submission of a planning application.
  • Screening Opinion - Where a proposed development is of a type which may potentially require an Environmental Impact Assessment (EIA) to be carried out under the terms of the Town and Country Planning (Environmental Impact Assessment) (Scotland) Regulations a screening opinion is used to determine whether or not an EIA is necessary. Screening opinions are usually produced when an application is received but may be carried out prior to an application being submitted if requested by the applicant.
  • Scoping Opinion - If an EIA is required, a Scoping Opinion can be sought by the applicant to detail the required Scope for the Environmental Report to accompany the future Planning Application.
  • Section 36 - applications for consent for the construction, extension and operation of electricity generating stations. It is the Scottish Ministers who determine the outcome of these applications. The Energy Consents Unit (ECU) is responsible for administering the process on behalf of the Scottish Ministers. The Energy Consents Unit neither process nor account for representations made to the Council in relation to their applications. Representations should be made direct to ECU at representations@gov.scot
  • Section 37 - applications for the installation of certain overhead electric lines and associated infrastructure are determined by the Energy Consents Unit on behalf of the Scottish Government. As above, the Energy Consents Unit neither process nor account for representations made to the Council in relation to their applications. Representations should be made direct to ECU at representations@gov.scot
  • Section 50 Certificate Planning- to show permission has been obtained for a development (accompany an application for a premises licence to sell alcohol)
  • Tree Preservation Orders - protects individual trees and woodlands that make a significant contribution to the appearance or natural beauty of an area, or are of cultural or historical importance
  • Mineral works - for the extraction of minerals
  • Marine fish farms - for the development of marine fish farms
  • Hazardous Substance -if you plan to have hazardous substances at or above specified controlled quantities

Related permissions

  • Road Construction Consent- for the design and construction of all new roads associated with new developments for which a planning application has been submitted