Highland profile - key facts and figures
Births and deaths
The latest information on births and deaths in Highland are available on the National Records for Scotland website.
Selected statistics include:
- In 2021, there were 1885 births in the Highland Council area (49.3% female, 50.7% male)
- This compares with 2131 births in 2001
- Between 2001 and 2021:
- The 0 to 19 age group has seen the largest percentage decrease in births (-70.7%)
- The 40 and over age group has seen the largest percentage increase in births (+39.4%).
- In 2018, the most common age group of mothers was 30 to 34, a change from the 25 to 29 age group in 1998
- In 2021 there were 2831 deaths in the Highland Council area (48.1% female, 51.9% male)
- This compares with 2413 deaths in 2001