Housing Benefit and Council Tax Reduction

How we pay you

When it starts

Your claim will normally start from the Monday after we receive your application. If you are entitled to help you will not receive your 1st payment until we have assessed your claim.

If you are in receipt of Income Support,  Job Seeker's Allowance (Income Based), or Employment Support Allowance, your benefit will normally start on the Monday after your benefit starts.

Who gets the payment

  • Council Tax Reduction and Second Adult Rebate
    This will come straight off your Council Tax bill
  • Housing Benefit for council tenants
    This will be paid direct to your rent account
  • Housing Benefit for private tenants
    The Housing Benefit entitlement amount will usually be paid directly to you as the tenant. There are however arrangements that can be made for your landlord to be paid your Housing Benefit directly if we think you are vulnerable or have exceptional circumstances

Backdated claims

Housing Benefit, Council Tax Reduction and Second Adult Rebate can only be backdated for a maximum period of 3 months for Pension Credit age customers and up to 1 month for working age customers. If you have a good reason for not claiming in time then you may ask for the claim to be backdated. A claim can only be backdated if you can demonstrate a good reason for failing to claim earlier. You also need to show that this reason affected the entire period you are asking for your claim to be backdated.