Agendas, reports and minutes
Ward Forum - Eilean a' Cheò
Date: Monday, 2 September 2013
Action Note: 2013 - September 02
Eilean a’ Cheo (Ward 11) – Forum Meeting
2 nd Septemeber 2013 Tigh na Sigre Portree
Cllr Drew Millar (Chair); Cllr Hamish Fraser; Cllr Ian Renwick; Cllr John Gordon; David Hearn, Portree Community Council; Mary Anne MacFarlane, Skeabost Community Council; Hector MacLeod, Sconser Community Council; Gordon MacKay, Waternish Community Council; Alistair Morrison, Struan Community Council; Margaret Vicar, Raasay Community Council; Caroline Clouston, Kyleakin & Kylerhea Community Council.
Kilmuir Community Council, Minginish Community Council, Sleat Community Council
Paul Edwards, HIFRS Station Master, Portree, Shane Spence, Police Scotland, Scott Hay, Scottish Fire & Rescue Service, Paul Moxon, Police Scotland, Derek Paterson, Police Scotland, Fay MacRae, Business Support; Dot Ferguson, Senior Ward Manager; Elaine Robertson, Waternish Community Council,
Chief Inspector Derek Paterson Police Scotland
• Overview given on Police Scotland and local Policing.
• Residents asked to be extra vigilant as there has been a spate of thefts in the area.
• The new Traffic Warden has been very successful hopefully funding will be available for next year.
• Summer drink drive campaign
• Increased checks on licenced premises.
• Safe Highlander event on 12th June in Portree for P7 pupils from Skye and Lochalsh.
• Blue light disco planned for November 2013
• Mobile speed cameras on the A87 ( where there has been previous collisions)
The community councils felt that they had been a lack of foot patrols during the day in the village and little publicity regarding rural thefts.
Chief inspector Derek Paterson agreed to contact Transport Scotland to see if the camera on the Skye bridge could be reinstated.
Members also requested confirmation that funding will be available from Police Scotland for the traffic warden post for 2014.
The main priority’s identified for the three year (2014-2017) Police Plan are
• Road Safety
• Alcohol and substance misuse
• Community Engagement
Paul Edwards HIFRS
PE went through the attached presentation and updated community councils on the incidents on the Island.
There is a shortage of retained fire-fighters and recruitment is a priority. Two new recruits will be starting in December 2013.
The local priority’s agreed for the Fire Service are
• Accidental House Fires
• Deliberate Fires
• Road Traffic Collisions
• Unwanted Fire Alarm Signals
Public liability insurance for grass cutting for community councils - DF will follow up.
Members advised that a press release has been issued by THC advising of their disappointment at BEAR going ahead with the road closures at 8pm on the A87
Date of next meeting Monday 4th November 2013. 2 – 4 pm Tigh na Sgire, Portree.