Agendas, reports and minutes

Lochaber Access Forum

Date: Wednesday, 31 October 2018

Minutes: Read the Minutes




Lochaber LAF Meeting

Wednesday 31 October 2018

Charles Kennedy Building, Fort William





Ben Thompson

Present at the meeting


Dr Michael Foxley, Bridget Thomas, Jackson Anderson, Ian Moir, Ruari Watt


Officials in attendance:






Stewart Eastaugh, Access Officer [mins]















Welcome and Introductions








Marion Macdonald, Ian Stewart






Minutes and Matters Arising


Proposed by BT and seconded by _______________


  • Roy Bridge take-out issue resolved by land manager reinstating an access
  • The requirement to use quarried material on SRDP path projects was discussed; MF raising the example of a community woodland path project. Check requirements















Core Paths Plan Review – West Highlands and Islands


Discussion focussed on response received to the LAF Pre-consultation List emailed to members ahead of the meeting

  • Members are asked to submit comments on or by 30 November
  • MF requested a copy
  • MM and BrT had responded on the proposal for the candidate core path between Tomacharich and Highbridge. One option was thought to be too close to a house, its state and navigability was not ideal although it may be improved as part of local development proposals. No strong feelings expressed.
  • Ballchulish to Duror was discussed with RW concerned that a single option would be a constraint on forestry operations. Its navigability without waymarkers was also discussed.
  • The Puggy Line and its development was discussed. SE to check out the proposals including a possible bridge over the Cour
  • Leanachan Forest Roads were discussed
  • MF mentioned 10 potential core paths, known to BT, that he was keen to see as candidate core paths. The timing of the recommendation was discussed. MF to email DK the list and THC access officers to discuss and advise.
  • MF asked if the Silver Walk was a core path. DK to check and confirm.
  • The Callop to Inverscaddle Bay proposal was discussed with reference to forestry operations. That the existing track was built on a much older route was raised as were occasions for access management.
  • BT mentioned the Blar Mhor link to Inverlochy under the railway as an important link that should be improved through contributions from local development.
  • BT also mentioned the route between Kilmallie Road and the railway which could be developed. It has been discussed with Jahama and a gate supplied to replace the stile by the A82.
  • Errocht to Inverskillavulin discussed
  • Leanachan routes discussed
  • Coirechoille to Corrour discussed as a long distance, strategic route recommended by the reporter in the public inquiry into the last Core Paths Plan
  • Timings – Area Committees by 31 January 2019, formal consultation between February and April 2019













































Access Issues


  • The Camusdarroch case was discussed. The son of the owner of the beach car park has still not carried out his threat to close the car park and/or take away the bridge. BT said that local members and the community council are trying to resolve the issue.
  • Two issues from wild campers being told they cannot camp and two from businesses and landowners in the Morar Arisaig area claiming it is being overrun by wild camping, anti social behaviour and inconsiderate parking.
  • River Arkaig access issue was discussed – poor weir design having an impact on paddle sports access. BrT and SE working on a resolution. BrT to email SE report by Andy Laird
  • Silver Walk discussed. RW reported that the fence will be fixed. Did not know how cattle got in.
  • MF mentioned signposting the fact that the Carnoch Bridge was down and would be for a while. Sign at Inverie but none at the eastern access by Loch Arkaig. SE to email BT and MF map of car park so they can recommend sign location.




















Access projects

  • Achoshnish to Achnaha,

Following a project to signpost the Sanna path network with 12 signs and 12 waymarkers, to finish of the project  work is required to re-align the path at the Achnaha end where currently it goes through a bog and then onto a private driveway.


  • Mallaig to Loch an Nostrie

Fingerposts were installed in the early 2000s indicating the route but waymarkers are required at locations where the path is not evident. 


  • An Sgurr, Isle of Eigg

Most popular route on Eigg, needs intermittent upland path work on boggy sections


  • Bridge, Bracorina to Tarbet

Bridge deck in dangerous condition, encouraging local community to look at funding from SRDP scheme ‘Improving Public Access’ where there may be another round commencing March/April, if not we would be looking to see how the access budget could help out. BT asked that SE contact Mark Smith, Senior Engineer to see what Community Serices might do. Estimated 4-5 figure costs.


  • River Laroch, Ballachulish

River eroding a core path due to upstream work by Scottish Water. Limited funds available. Trying to secure more. Community considering an appeal to Scottish Water.































Future meetings


  • Last week of April 2019 – SE to email round for dates
  • SE to write to non-attendees to confirm whether or not they want to remain on the LAF
  • Check apologies.










  • No need for newsletter if we are meeting more regularly
  • Nevis Landscape Partnership looking to upgrade Lower falls car park to relieve pressure on Steall turning area / car park
  • Allt a Chaorunn cottage discussed with IM who mentioned that ramblers had met the stalker and had discussed  a better alternative path. Hydro schemes discussed in association with future route changes.
  • IM asked about Trevor Jones application. 3 access taker places are currently filled, application had been lost and requested. IM to get in touch.
  • RW mentioned the gates at the Garry were accessible – SE to check

















Canvassing for dates of the next meeting