Household recycling centres
Frequently asked questions
FAQ - New vehicle restrictions at Highland Council Household Waste Recycling Centres (HWRC)
Q. Where can I find information about recycling centres?
A. The location of recycling centres and the materials accepted at each is available on our recycling centres page.
Q. Who can use the recycling centres?
A. The recycling centres are provided for the use of Highland households paying standard Council Tax.
Q. Why has the Highland Council introduced restrictions on vehicles at recycling centres?
A. The changes are being implemented to save the Council in the region of £300K over 2 years. The aim of the new restrictions is to maximise the availability of facilities to householders while preventing commercial misuse of the recycling centres.
Q. Which vehicles are not allowed into the recycling centres?
A. The following vehicles will not be permitted entry with any waste:
- Trailers with more than one axle or greater than 2.4 metres in length
- Vehicles with a gross vehicle weight of 3.5 tonnes or greater
- Tippers and flat-bed trucks of any weight
- Plant vehicles
Q. When will the restrictions be implemented?
A. Vehicle restrictions will take place from 3 February 2020.
Q. What happens if I go to the recycling centre with a restricted vehicle?
A. Failure to demonstrate that a vehicle complies with restrictions will result in refusal to dispose of waste at the recycling centre.
Q. I have a commercial business. Can I use the Recycling Centres to dispose of my waste?
A. Disposal of business and commercial waste at Highland Council recycling centres is not permitted.
Customers of the Highland Council Commercial Waste Service are permitted to dispose of a limited volume of recyclable materials, as detailed in the Highland Council Commercial Collection Service terms and conditions.
Disposal of refuse is not permitted.
Q. What are the alternatives for disposing of household or business waste?
A. Alternatives for disposing of household and business waste are as follows:
- Use a vehicle unaffected by the restrictions to deliver your household waste to the recycling centre (please note, you may be required to complete a Household Waste Declaration Form before depositing waste)
- Visit the bulky waste collection page or call 01349 886603 to arrange a bulky uplift from your home (this service will incur a charge).
- Dispose of your waste at our landfill site or Waste Transfer Station (only available in Caithness, Sutherland, Wester Ross, Skye and Badenoch & Strathspey and will incur a charge).
- Visit the skip hire page or call 01349 886603 to arrange skip hire (only available in Sutherland, Skye and Lochalsh and will incur a charge)
- Contact a private waste management contractor to manage your waste. The waste management contractor will charge for any services provided.
Q. When did the Highland Council decide to make these changes?
A. The changes were agreed at the Environment, Development and Infrastructure Committee meeting on 15 August 2019 and detailed in item 27 of the report.
Q. How do I identify my gross vehicle weight?