Flood Risk Management
The introduction of the Flood Risk Management (Scotland) Act (2009), has led to a new risk-based, plan-led approach to dealing with flooding in Scotland.
Flood Risk Management Plans (previously known as Flood Risk Management Strategies) and Local Flood Risk Management Plans are developed on a six yearly cycle. Cycle One was from 2016-2022 and Cycle 2 will be from 2022-2028. SEPA are responsible for the development of the Flood Risk Management Plans and certain Local Authorities are responsible for the development of Local Flood Risk Management Plans.
Highland communities are in either:
- The Highland and Argyll Local Plan District Area (LPD01) where The Highland Council is the lead Local Authority.
- The Findhorn, Nairn and Spayside Local Plan District Area (LPD05) where The Moray Council is the lead Local Authority.
Each Local Plan District has a Flood Risk Management Plan and a Local Flood Risk Management Plan.
Flood Risk Management Plans coordinate efforts to tackle flooding in Scotland. They set the national direction of future flood risk management, helping to target investment and coordinate actions across public bodies. The plan explain what causes flooding in high risk areas as well as the impacts when flooding does occur. Within the plans objectives for tackling flooding in high risk areas are set along with actions aimed to work towards those objectives.
Local Flood Risk Management Plans include the actions recommended in the Flood Risk Management Plan and adds further details such as:
- Funding arrangements for each action
- Which organisation will be responsible for the delivery of the action.
- The timescale for delivery.
- Details of any coordination between authorities.
Cycle One (2016-2022)
Final reports have been produced summarising the outcomes of the Cycle One Local Flood Risk Management Plans.
Highland and Argyll Local Plan (LPD01)
Findhorn, Nairn and Speyside Local Plan (LPD05)
Cycle Two (2022-2028)
View the flood risk management plan
Highland and Argyll Local Plan
Findhorn, Nairn and Speyside Local Plan
The Strategic Environmental Assessment for Cycle Two Highland and Argyll Local Risk Management Plan is below.
- Highland and Argyll LFRMP Screening (Cycle 2)
- Cycle 2 Statement of Reasons
- SEA Cycle 2 Screening Determination
If you have any queries, contact our Flood Risk Management Team for advice.