Helmsdale was developed in 1818 as a fishing village, largely herring fishing, as like many other villages in the Highlands around that time. Today, the harbour is a prominent feature of Helmsdale village and there are a number of fishing vessels based there which gives it a sense of a working harbour.
Latitude 58° 06.9' North
Longitude 03° 38.8' West
All waters below the level of MHWS commencing from the A9 bridge over the River Helmsdale and following the level of MHWS via the North shore to:
- Latitude 58° 06.765' N, Longitude 03° 38.585' W; thence in a SW'ly direction for a distance of 290 metres to
- Latitude 58° 06.765' N, Longitude 03° 38.757' W; thence in a ENE'ly direction for a distance of 470 metres to:
- Latitude 58° 06.865' N, Longitude 03° 39.186' W on the level of MHWS, thence following the level of MHWS to meet with the A9 road bridge over the River Helmsdale.
- 14,640 litres of fuel oil storage
- Waste oil reception facilities
- Shower and toilets are also available
Types of vessel
- Fishing vessels
- Customs cutters
- Fishers protection vessels
Out of hours service by arrangement with the Harbour Master
Anchorage, sheltered against winds from between SW and NW, can be obtained 5 cables SE of the harbour entrance in 12m. The holding is good but there is a possibility of the anchor fouling on large rocks.
Phone 01431 821692
Tony Usher, Harbours Manger
Phone 01349 781615 or 07785 341188
David Seddon, Marine Superintendent
- Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Office:01349 781614
- Mobile: 07768 030305
For all other enquiries email email@example.com